Which of these tasks or exercises do you normally see in coursebooks?
- Look at the highlighted verbs in the text and match them with the following synonyms: investigate, find, catch, escape
- Match the adjectives with their opposites, e.g. tall / short
- Underline in the text all the expressions with OF
- Group the words according to categories, e.g. vehicles: car, motorcycle; musical instruments: guitar, piano etc
- Underline all the adverbs in the text. Now underline the verbs they go with.
- Rick says "the journey was long and tiring". What other adjectives can be used to describe journeys?
- Which is the odd word out? gaze - smile - stare - look
You probably answered 1, 2, 4 and 7 and to a lesser extent 3, 5 and 6
Now read on to find out why...